Saturday, June 25, 2011

Johnny Walker: Black vs. Red

I watched a video online today...a 60 Minutes interview featuring my favourite atheist and intellectual, Christopher Hitchens. In it, they talked about his admiration for Johnny Walker as his favourite tipple. So, when I had a hankering for a tipple of my own this evening, I thought, what the hell, I'll try Johnny Walker. So, off to the Liquor Store I went.

I discovered pretty quickly that JW is a bit pricey...at least to me. Plus, I wasn't sure which sort to get...there were a few. Then I noticed the 375 ml bottles of Johnny Walker Red Label and Johnny Walker Black Label. Perfect. Just right for a taste test. The black was about $23 Cdn while the red was $16. Right there, you have a clue as to what might be the better of the two...in the distiller's opinion, at least. We shall see.

The immediate differences are, of course, the labels...very similar except for their colours and wordage. But the colour of the liquid inside is very slightly different too. The black is a slightly richer, warmer colour, more amber than the Red Label, which is lighter in colour.


The sniff test: at first, the two smelled identical, but on a second whiff, the Red Label has a bit of a smokey scent, which the Black Label lacks. The black label has more of a sweet, caramel aroma. If I had to choose right now, based on smell alone, I might choose the Red Label, as I really enjoyed the smokiness of the Laphroaig I tried several weeks ago.

Now for the taste test: Red Label...surprisingly thick on the tongue, and that smokiness is there in the taste as well. Not much burniness, which is nice. Very smooth. I like it. If that's the cheaper of the two, I may be in for a treat.

Hmm. Interesting. Pricier it may be, but in my opinion, it's not as pleasing (to me) as the Red Label. Seems to have slightly less body (though that's not a mark against it), but the flavor isn't as interesting. Not very burny, which is good.

Other sites I checked generally say the Black Label is better and that the Red is more suited to "long" drings...drinks which have other ingredients as well. But personally, I prefer the Red Label. Both are very nice though, and much, much smoother (less burny) than most of the other scotches, whisk(e)ys and bourbons I've tried. I may make this one a favourite of my own.

Thanks, Mr. Hitchens!

5 comments:

tarheelmri said...

I to am a great admirer of Mr Hitchens. On the Saturday after his passing I went to the ABC store to purchase some Johnny Walker black label or as Hitch called it " Mr Walkers amber restorative" I forced myself to have a few drinks In honor of Hitch before switching to my favorite bourbon(Wild Turkey Rare Breed). I posted on my Facebook page (probably my first post in a year) " I hate scotch but this round of Mr Walkers... is to you Hitch"
Last weekend I decided to finish off the black label and added a little club soda. It was as if my eyes had been opened I simply could not believe the flavor. I have in the last week been sampling different blends (J&B, Cutty, and Chivas) and frankly although good in there own way have been disappointed in the lack of smokey flavor. Tonight I purchased some JW red label and found that although different it was just as delightful as the black label.

Patti said...

I share your sadness at Hitch's death, and raised a glass to him myself.

Interesting idea to add a bit of club soda...I'll have to try that. And I'll have a look for tha Wild Turkey Rare Breed, though I don't think I've ever seen it up here.

Richard said...

I suppose the misspelling of Johnnie Walker as "Johnny Walker" will never go away.

Johnnie Walker Red Label was Winston Churchill's choice.

Jaime said...

First four thinks about myself:
1. - I am a big fan of Christopher HItchens, almost an antitheist as he proclaims himself;
2. - I am a Jhonnie Black lover. And I do attribute the fact that I like it better than the green, gold, double black, platinum and even blue ones, to a fact I call “acquired taste”;
3. - I grew up in a very hot weather country, so I learned to drink it with some (really a lot) of ice and some club soda.
4 - As Christopher was too, I am a long run drinker. If the party, meeting, reunion or just sitting around talking with friends is being enjoyable, I don´t mind how long I go (especially if I am at my place and do not have to drive). And I don´t count how many I’d have. My grandma teach me that is not polite.

And here (at #4) is where the hugest (there are others) difference between the red label and the black label appears in a must prominent way… “your morning after!”
Perfect if you were on black, awful if you were on red.

Patti said...

Thanks for the comment, Jaime! Interesting perspective! I really love my scotch cold, but I hate putting ice in it because I don't like the taste of it with melted icewater in it. I should keep my scotch on the freezer and pour as needed from there, eh? :-)

I should also try your suggestion of ice and some club soda. How much soda would you use per ounce of scotch?