Sunday, July 06, 2008

What is it with me?


I can go weeks and months before trying to fulfill a desire. So why...WHY, I ask...am I so often punished by disappointment when I finally decide to succumb?

It's strawberry season. For a week now, I've been craving a strawberry scoff. I've seen them at the store and rejected them because they're the over-sized, imported strawberries that taste like cardboard (why do grocery stores even SELL imported strawberries at this time of year??). I've driven past the strawberry stand half a dozen times, thinking "nah, I won't be able to buy a small enough amount...all I want is a handful or two." Those particular strawberries are grown within a mile of where I live, and I suspect they're small and juicy and perfectly sweet and delicious.

So finally today, I thought, to hell with it, I'll buy a pint and just freeze whatever I don't eat. I picked up some whipped cream at the grocery store and then went out of my way to take a route that would take me past the strawberry stand. My mouth was fairly watering with anticipation.

Closed.

Yes, closed. On a Saturday! What's up with THAT?? It's not FAIR! Agh. So now I have to wait till at least tomorrow before I can get my strawberry fix. Ah well, I guess farmers need a day off now and then too.

But during strawberry season??

** PS: The pic is just a fantasy for now. Maybe I'll post a pic of the real thing once I'm able to indulge.

2 comments:

Barbara Martin said...

Did your manifestation eventually bear fruit? Inquiring minds want to know.

Patti said...

:-) Yes -- twice. They were so good I forgot to take pictures!