Sunday, June 07, 2009

Doc's Volatile Steak Marinade

I have rarely taken a steak to a bring-your-own-meat style of barbecue. Partly that's because I just really love barbecued hot dogs, but mostly it's because l like my meat medium-rare, and I've had bad experiences with over-cooked steaks and burgers at most backyard barbecues. Hot dogs are difficult to ruin, so they're a pretty safe bet, even when the cook is half-snapped.

But I did take a steak, a nice little Angus strip loin, to our potluck BBQ at Carol's last night. Sometime last year, Carol had hosted an Epicure party (sort of like a Tupperware party for gourmet food and kitchen products). During that, she barbecued some steak with a few of the different products the Epicure rep was flogging. Aside from the products that were ON them, the steaks were to die for. Perfectly cooked and oh, so juicy and tender.

So I figured I was safe to take a steak to this particular barbecue, and I was not disappointed. Tonia brought a steak too, an Angus top sirloin, and we let them sit in this marinade before cooking. Unfortunately, we were only able to marinate for about 2 hours, but even so, the steaks were amazing.

The marinade is one of those nice thick ones that sticks well to the meat, and the complexity of the flavours makes every bite a pleasurable experiences. I found I could taste most of the individual ingredients, which was lovely. The addition of cinnamon was a particularly unique choice, and worked really well. I was sorry I'd only brought a small steak. (Tip: use a bone-in steak if you try this. The best part of my meal was gnawing that last bit of meat off the bone. I may have to do a T-bone next time!)

For those who don't much like spicy foods, don't let the word "volatile" in the recipe's name scare you off. There was a good three cups of marinade overall, with only one little tablespoon of hot sauce mixed in. I barely noted any spiciness when I ate my steak. So, while I like the name, I'd probably have chosen something different, which more accurately describes its rich, complex flavours.

I'd love to try this again when I'm able to marinate for at least 8 hours, if not more. You'll notice I replaced a few of the ingredients with slightly different options, but I don't think it made any major difference. If anyone else tries this recipe, let me know what you thought!

DOC'S VOLATILE STEAK MARINADE

12 oz Guiness Stout (I used Guiness Draft)
4 oz Jack Daniels Whiskey (I used Jamieson's)
4 oz Peanut oil (I used Canola)
3 TB Worcestershire Sauce
1 TB Tabasco sauce (I used Louisiana Hot Sauce)
3 TB Honey
2 oz Soy sauce
1 tsp White pepper
2 Garlic cloves minced (I used 4 or 5)
3 tsp salt
1 TB ground cinnamon


Start with a saucepan. Mix the Guiness, the Jack Daniels and the oil. Add the Worcestershire, tabasco, honey and soya sauces. Bring to a slow boil & add the white pepper, garlic, salt and cinnamon. Mix well, turn off heat, and allow to cool to room temp. Use immediately or store in a glass jar in refrigerator for up to 1 week.
ORIGIN: Dr. Donald Houston's Kitchen, circa 1988, Tampa, FL

No comments: