Sunday, May 31, 2009

Caesar Salad

I got this recipe about 20 years ago from the then art director at Chatelaine magazine, where I was working at the time. My copy of the recipe is on a badly stained photocopy of a piece of Chatelaine memo paper and I've never had the heart to transfer it to a nice clean recipe card. The stains make it so much more enjoyable to use! I've made this recipe many many times and it's always a huge hit. But I warn you...this is no wishy-washy Caesar dressing!

1 egg
Juice of 1 lemon
1 heaping tsp. dijon mustard or 1 level tsp of dry mustard
Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
Splash of Lee & Perrins (Worcestershire sauce)
Garlic Cloves to taste (I use 4 big cloves)
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup grated parmesan\
If desired, Anchovies (real, or a squeeze of anchovie paste
)


Blend together first six ingredients. With the blender running, drizzle in the oil in a slow, steady stream to emulsify. Then add the parmesan and, if desired, anchovies. (I've always used Kraft parm, but I bet this would be even better with freshly grated.) I've also always used the anchovy paste...you don't taste the fishiness, but it gives a nice saltiness to the dressing.

To assemble the dressing, clean and break up Romaine Lettuce, and add as desired from the following:
Thinly sliced mushrooms
Broken up cooked bacon
Capers
More Parmesan
Garlicky homemade croutons

No comments: