Sunday, May 08, 2011

Thufferin' Thucotash

It was Deadwood Dinner again tonight, and my turn to make the side dish. Carol suggested a carb, and my favourite carb (besides potatoes) has always been corn, so I went looking for a corn recipe...something better than just dump a can in the pot and heat it up.

The word "succotash" kept echoing in my head. So, after a few attempts to find something appropriate via google by searching "corn recipes" I just typed in succotash...and immediately got several likely possibilities. The one I settled on was actually not even via Google...it was in my Food Network app on my iPhone. It's called Not So Sufferin' Succotash.

....and now that I've just discovered that my iPhone is out of juice, I'll just wing the recipe here...because I didn't really follow it anyway.

I finely diced one large yellow onion and sauteed it in butter till it was soft and starting to brown. Then I threw in about a can and a half of peaches and cream corn, and about half a can of black beans. Really, the amounts just depend on how many you're feeding and what proportion of corn to beans you prefer. I like corn far more than beans, so I went easy on the beans.

Once I got all the veg cooking, I added about a teaspoon of ground sage and a teaspoon of kosher salt. Once they'd cooked for a few minutes, I tossed in about 2/3 of  half-pint of 35% cream (whipping cream) and then let it cook on medium-low (very light boil) for about 15 minutes, which reduced the cream to a thick saucy kind of presence in the pan.

So, super easy, very simple ingredients we all might have on hand at any given time (except for the cream) and very quick...chopping the onions was the hardest part. From start to finish, the whole thing took about half an hour....most of which was just left on its own to cook.

It went over very well at the table, and I must say it did taste really nice and made a perfect accompaniment to the very deelish pulled-pork barbecue that Carol made. The only thing I'd do differently next time would be to rinse the black beans better. I was lazy there and only gave them a cursory rinse, and they gave the dish a rather greyish cast that wasn't very appetizing. Didn't bother the flavour though, which was yummm.

No comments: