Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Newfoundland - Day 5

Quiet day today. Didn't take a single photograph. However, we did continue our trend of stuffing our faces at least twice a day.

this morning, we were invited to Wayne & Hilda's house for brunch. She really puts on a spread. A big pot of home-made baked beans, tons of bacon, boiled eggs, toast, tea-biscuits and "lassy" rolls...molasses rolls...which were to DIE for they were so delicious.

It's just ridiculous the way we've been eating this week. My dad says he's gained six pounds. I may have put on a few, but you'd never know. I'm eating more than usual, but more in frequency than in amount.

After brunch, we drove into Springdale to pick up all my supplies for tomorrow's supper. I'm making my famous ribs, a caesar salad and baked potatoes, with a frozen cream pie for dessert. They have a really nice little grocery store in Springdale...Foodland...with beautiful meats and very fresh produce. Quite surprising to find, considering where we're located.

Came straight home after that and had a long nap. Dinner tonight was down to Uncle Ron and Judy's house. Judy made roast moose, roast beef and roast pork. I just had the moose, of course...might as well have it while I can! I can have roast beef and roast pork any time. The other Newfoundland treat in that meal was this "pastry" as Judy called it, which is eaten with the meal. It looked exactly like cake, but when you eat it, it isnt sweet. Just kind of neutral, with a nice moist crumbly texture that soaks up gravy beatifully...and I guess that's its job! A HUGE bowl of mashed potatoes, plus boiled carrots (grown by Judy last year) and corn niblets rounded out the meal...oh, plus two kinds of gravy again. YUM. VERY good meal. Very simple, very plain, but completely, totally and unutterably satisfying.

Dessert was a choice of FOUR different kinds of home-made pie. I chose the cherry pie, which was made with Judy's own grown cherries, with a big dollop of "canned cream" on top...not really sure what it was, but it tasted faintly of cheese. Would have been ideal on apple pie, but was delicious on the cherry pie, which was tart and scrumptious. Treated myself to a couple of fingers of whiskey after dinner and that's all I had to drink today.

Oh, yes...this afternoon, we dropped into the King's Point Pottery, which features the work of two local artisans, plus pieces from craftspeoople all over The Rock. I bought myself a gorgeous, gorgeous labradorite necklace that fairly glows when you turn it back and forth. Picked up a little something for Tonia and must go back and find something for Mum before we leave. Really nice store: www.kingspointpottery.com They carried some pieces by a couple called Cara and Pam from the Grumpy Goat Gallery in Upper Island Cove, NL...I fell in love with their little island scenes of wharves and fishing huts all made out of painted wood. www.thegrumpygoatgallery.blogspot.com

Food and family...that's what this trip has been about mostly about, with a little bit of sightseeing and shopping thrown in now and then. Even so, we're all finding ourselves feeling tired and take the opportunity to nap every afternoon. As the week wears on, we go to bed earlier every night.

Tomorrow will be a big day for me, as I've volunteered to prepare dinner. I'm not even sure how many people are coming! But judging from other dinners this week, it'll probably be around 12 people. I don't even know if I have enough food, but I think a slightly less filling meal won't hurt us at all! I may try to squeeze in a bit of sightseeing with the gang tomorrow. Or I may beg off and just grab some quiet time while they're out. Supposed to be a really nice day though, so I'll probably tag along.

No comments: