Monday, May 25, 2009

Casey Cake

I thought it would be fun to post some favourite recipes to my blog to share with my friends. I don't think anyone uses the "My Cookbook" app on facebook where I've posed some recipes in the past, so this is probably a better option. After all, what good is a recipe if you don't share it?

This one is very special to me, as it's named after my brother, who passed away last summer. I think this cake is usually called something else, but we've always called it Casey Cake because it was his favourite dessert. I'm not sure where the recipe came from originally. This one's for you, Casey!

CASEY CAKE

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease and flour one 8" baking pan.

Cake:
2 Tbsp Butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
-- Cream the butter and sugar together. In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients together and then add to the butter mixture, mixing well. Add wet ingredients and stir till well blended. Pour into the cake pan and bake at 375 till done (nice and brown, and a stainless steel knife blade comes out clean)

Topping:
3 tbsp melted butter
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 tbsp cream (or half-and-half, or even milk will suffice)
1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
--Combine all ingredients and spread over top of cake once it has cooled a little.

Casey and I could finish off one of these cakes in an afternoon. Oooh yummm.

No comments: